Friday 6 September 2013

Zulu! British Officers

Before getting into the officers, here are the Other Ranks before sepia wash:

Bromhead & Chard

I decided to go more for a film aesthetic than true historical. These are from the HäT British Command set, with some headswaps to replace beards and moustaches. These were painted the same as my redcoats. Note that Chard has black and gold embellishments, suitable for the Royal Engineers. As you can see on the pre-wash pictures, I block painted their helmets white, but the end result wasn't as obvious compared to the Other Ranks as I expected.

Bromhead & Chard

Before sepia wash
Stanley Baker as Chard, and introducing Michael Caine as Bromhead

Gonville Bromhead, Lieutenant, B Company, 2/24th (2nd Warwickshire) Regiment of Foot

John Chard, Lieutenant, Royal Engineers, Officer Commanding Rorke's Drift.

Durnford

I did a headswap for Durnford, and am quite pleased with the outcome. Doesn't have the impressive mo' or hat feathers, though.
Durnford

Before sepia wash

Anthony Durnford
Burt Lancaster as Colonel Durnford in Zulu Dawn

Pulleine

Pulleine looks rather stiff. Using the same base figure, I painted a Queen's Colour to go with him, just because. I was pleasantly surprised with the final effect on the flag, it's nicer than I anticipated.

Pulleine and Queen's Colour

Before sepia wash
Henry Pulleine
Denholm Elliott as Colonel Pulleine in Zulu Dawn
Next time: Natal Native Horse and N Battery

6 comments:

  1. These figures look great. I think I'll follow your lead for my current Talomir project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review of figures, movie and real life via photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pancerni, it has been educational!

      Delete
  3. I know you officer types get rather fixated on your own kind and seem to think the world revolves around what you all do :P

    Having said that I hope Boy Borne will be making an appearance here too sometime. I gather he was as impressive a character as the movie made out. And survived til 1945 to boot.

    I'll leave out the bit about retiring as a LTCOL. There's just something wrong with OR's that take commissions me thinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bourne will only get a side-show here, I'm afraid. He's up there with Plumley, though.

      I like that exchange at the start of 'Zulu':

      "I'll get one of my men to clean your kit."

      "Don't bother"

      "It's no bother, it's not as if I'm cleaning it!"

      Delete