Friday 23 September 2016

Mansions of Madness monsters

There are a variety of new monsters in Mansions of Madness 2nd edition. The bases they come with are, like the first edition, truly awful. I rebased and painted the figures and added them to my eldritch collection!

The Hunting Horrors were stuck to Citadel flight stands I had had lying about for years.

The rioters come three to a base, but I've left them individually based for use in other games if necessary.

The cultists are the first edition ones, so I didn't re-do them. The High Priest of Dagon is a little too fluorescent, and I may do some more work on him.

The deep one hybrids really came to life with a blue-green lower lip, and some dodgy eyes. Suitably batrachian!

The child of Dagon looks more like a zombie.

The deep ones were easy to paint with a mix of green and blue washes. I wasn't a fan of these initially, but now I think they're my favourite.

The ghosts were easy to paint, with a green wash over white.

The star spawns are suitably large whilst somewhat static in pose, but look fine after a green/ brown paint job.

Here's the second edition content, and the combined first and second edition.



Ia! Ia!

30 comments:

  1. Ghost be like: You're tearing me apart, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous they all look cracking. Its nice to see the whole set painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon! It adds to the game and I couldn't wait to get started.

      Delete
  3. They look absolutely brilliant, I really need to have a closer look at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael- it is worth a play, but I'm not yet convinced it is excellent value.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic! What a great collection you've painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, did not even know a second edition was out. Great monsters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only just came out. I was very excited when I heard.

      Delete
  6. Sterling work! Those painted up nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply wonderful work Barks. Can't decide which I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some top-notch painting there, Barks, and the rebasing on the hunting horrors is a definite win. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind, Evan. I thought it was a good use for those old bases.

      Delete
  9. Awesome gribbly horde, very well-painted! I especially like the Deep Ones & the Star Spawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PC! They were both very quick to paint for the effects achieved.

      Delete
  10. Awesome work... lots of great painted minis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, HW- I'm very impressed with your progress as well!

      Delete
  11. You're right, the Deep Ones are amazing. I'm about ready to violate the Benthic Treaty here!

    I actually like the hybrids, despite their "samey-ness" (I might have given them different weapons and even hats, but it is a fair bit of work, I know!), and the child of Dagon is downright creepy! I'm really enjoying this turn for the Lovecraftian and all the disturbing characters you're turning out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naturally, I'd prefer different poses and weapons, but at the end of the day they're low quality boardgame pieces and I decided I don't have the time!

      Delete
  12. I like them veyr much !
    I'm painting this game so this is a huge inspiration to me.

    Can you describe how you painted the jeans for the rioters please ?

    Gratz!
    Xavier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Xavier!

      The jeans are very simple: a blue-grey (like Citadel Space Wolf Grey), then Army Painter Blue Wash. Done!

      Delete
  13. what colour did you use for the blonde hair on Amanda sharpe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a cream/ ivory basecoat and a wash of Army Painter Warpaint Soft Tone.

      Delete
  14. Hello,
    Nice work with this miniatures. I'm not a painter but I love this game so much. If you don't use them anymore and you are planning to sell it please let me know by email me to office@icount.ro .

    Thank you !
    Catalin

    ReplyDelete